Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks bear biologists say hunters need to take steps to bear proof their hunt by thinking ahead about what they will do if they see a bear.
The likelihood a hunter will encounter a bear is real and it may increase when a game animal is taken with a bow or rifle. Here are precautions that will help to prevent potential conflicts between hunters and bears:
- After making a kill-Get the carcass out of the area as quickly as possible.
- Returning to the carcass-Use special precautions in returning to a carcass, including placing it where it can be easily observed from a good distance.
- Recreating in bear country —Know how to behave when traveling in bear country. Learn more
- Encountering a bear —Know what to do if you encounter a bear. Learn more
- Bear pepper spray —Carry bear pepper spray and know how to use it. Learn more