State of Montana Website Montana State Parks Website
Licenses & Permits

For the safety of recreationists and protection of the resource, permits are required for certain activities on Montana's public lands.

River Recreation - A permit is required to float the Smith River from Camp Baker to Eden Bridge. A Special Recreation Permit is required on the Madison and Blackfoot rivers for commercial use, competitive events and organized group events. [River Recreation Permits]

Register your Vehicle or Vessel - Registration requirements of snowmobiles, off-highway vehicles, sailboats, motorboats and personal watercraft differ for Montana residents and nonresidents. See details below for each type of vehicle or vessel.
[Register Snowmobiles & OHVs] [Register Boats]

Snowmobile and OHV Permits - If you are a Montana resident, you must register your vehicle with the county treasure's office. Nonresidents who plan to operate their snowmobile or off-highway vehicles on public land, must purchase a nonresident permit and display it on the vehicle. [Snowmobile & OHV Permits]

State Land Use - A Recreation Use Permit is required for anyone conducting a non-commercial activity on State Trust Lands not related to hunting and fishing. [State Land Use Permits]

Backcountry Camping - Permits are required for backcountry camping in some National Forests, State Trust Lands, Yellowstone National Park, Glacier National Park and Sluice Boxes State Park. [Backcountry Camping]