Recreation News - Region 3
Fri Nov 02 16:07:00 MDT 2012
The cutting of firewood for personal use is now allowed by permit (free) on the Mount Haggin Wildlife Management Area.
Anyone who wishes to gather firewood on Mount Haggin must first pickup his or her permit at the FWP area office in Butte (1820 Meadowlark Lane) and abide by the following rules:
· Cutting standing dead or beetle-infested trees is allowed within the designated area only. Removal of standing trees, live or dead, in all other areas of the WMA is prohibited.
· Firewood gatherers must have their permits and maps with them when cutting trees on the WMA.
· The designated area for firewood gathering is located along California Creek Road and is shown in GREEN on the map provided with the permit. You will note the private land shown in RED on the map – NO TREE REMOVAL CAN OCCUR IN THIS AREA.
· Trees can be cut on either side of the road AS LONG AS:
o It is within one tree-length of the road
o It is not within the private land area shown in red on the map
o It is not within the stream or riparian area.
o No off-road driving.
· There is no limit to the amount of firewood that can be gathered by the permit holder. However, firewood must be for personal use only. Commercial use of this firewood is prohibited.
· Permits expire August 31, 2013.