Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks will host Helena's 2012 Outdoor Fest at Spring Meadow Lake State Park and the Montana Wild Education Center on Saturday, June 9 from 11 a.m.-3 p.m. The Outdoor Fest is free and open to the public.
The annual Outdoor Fest celebrates National Get Outdoors Day. The day's events are all designed to equip young people with the skills and experiences they need to enjoy and be safe in the outdoors. Educational events and activities will available in the Montana Wild meeting and exhibit space, and set up outdoors throughout Spring Meadow Lake State Park.
Activities and informational stations planned and their sponsors are:
• Rafting – Adventures Unlimited
• Boating & Water Safety - FWP
• Camping – MSU Extension – 4-H
• Camping – Capital Sports
• Mountain Biking – Girl’s Thrive
• Shooting Sports – Mule Deer Foundation (pellet gun trailer); FWP (archery)
• Kayaking – FWP& Helena Outdoor Club
• Fishing – FWP
• Fish Identification – FWP
• Nature Journaling – Access To Success
• Outdoor Weather Safety—Great Falls Weather Service
Educational events and demonstrations, some with live animals, will run every half hour in the Montana Wild Center. They include:
• Raptor Program (11:30 – noon) Live raptor – Don & Donna Eisenmenger, FWP Wildlife Center volunteers.
• Porcupine Program (Noon – 12:30) Live Porcupine – Sam Lavin, FWP Wildlife Center volunteer.
• Wildlife Photography (12:30 – 1 p.m.) Jesse Varnardo, wildlife photographer .
• Bear Awareness (1 – 1:30 p.m.) FWP Laurie Evarts, Montana Wild Education Program Manager.
• Outdoor Weather Safety (1:30-2 p.m.) Great Falls Weather Service meteorologists will discuss outdoor weather safety and proper attire.
More than 30 community volunteers from organizations including the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary, Helena Outdoors Club, Helena Hunters and Anglers Club and FWP will help staff the activities.
The Montana Wild Education Center is located next to Spring Meadow Lake State Park off Highway 12 West at 2668 Broadwater Ave.
Spring Meadow Lake State Park, a popular Helena recreation site for swimming, fishing, and picnicking, is off Highway 12 West, north on Joslyn to Country Club Ave.
Refreshments will be available for purchase. For more information, email Laurie Evarts at: LEvarts@mt.gov, or call 444-9944.