You are here:   Home » News » News Releases » Hunting » Don’t forget March 15 deadline to apply for mule deer buck, bull and antlerless elk permits

Don’t forget March 15 deadline to apply for mule deer buck, bull and antlerless elk permits

Hunting - Region 7

Mon Mar 05 14:16:00 MST 2018

It’s still winter, but spring is coming, and so is your opportunity to apply for mule deer buck and bull and antlerless elk permits. Don’t let the March 15 application deadline pass you by!

Application packets for both resident and nonresident hunters are available at any regional FWP office or online at

The packets contain guidelines to apply, information about regulation changes, maps of hunting districts, drawing statistics and the application itself. People planning to apply are encouraged to take advantage of this resource, which should answer many of their questions.  

There are also large maps posted at the FWP Region 7 office in Miles City to help hunters identify district boundaries and permit opportunities.

There are a handful of changes to elk regulations in Region 7 this season. Among those, spike bull harvest will now be allowed on a general license during the general and archery seasons in hunting districts 702, 704 and 705. It would be in areas currently open to cow harvest on a general elk license.

Be sure to review regulations for specific hunting districts in other regions to see if any changes are in effect. Elk hunting in many HDs or portions of HDs in Regions 1, 2, 3 and 6 now offer “antlerless elk permits” instead of, or in addition to, elk B licenses. If you seek to harvest an antlerless elk using an antlerless permit in those hunting districts, you must apply for an antlerless elk permit by March 15. The deadline to apply for elk B licenses is June 1.      

Remember conservation, base hunting license

“Resident hunters need a 2018 conservation, elk or deer license, and base hunting license to apply for a special elk or deer permit. Everything else needed to apply is in the application and information packet, and hunters should look into applying online,” said FWP Spokesman Greg Lemon.

“It’s fast, secure and very convenient,” Lemon said. 

Archery hunters must have purchased a Montana bow and arrow license prior to hunting.

To purchase a bow and arrow license an individual must meet one of the following requirements:

  • show completion of a bowhunter education course
  • show proof of purchase of a previous year’s bow and arrow license from Montana or another state

Signed affidavits are no longer acceptable as proof of an bowhunter education.

Nonresidents who wish to apply for big game combination, elk combination or deer combination licenses and deer and elk permits for the 2018 Montana hunting season can also apply online or download an application from FWP's website.

To request an application by mail, write to: Licensing Section; Montana FWP; P.O. Box 200701, Helena MT; 59620-0701; or call: 406-444-2950. The application deadline is March 15.

The next big game deadline is May 1 to apply for moose, sheep, goat and bison licenses and then June 1 for antlerless deer B and elk B licenses and antelope and antelope B licenses.