Friday, July 05, 2013
Hunters planning to pursue wild turkeys in parts of western Montana this fall must apply for a special permit by July 25.
The Montana Fish & Wildlife Commission will consider final fall turkey permit quotas at its July 10 meeting in Helena.
Here are the proposed limited permit areas, season dates, and mail-in application information for the state:
- Western Montana-Region 2: Sept. 1-Jan. 1, 2014
- Mineral County Area—50 permits
- Southwestern Montana-Region 3: Sept. 1-Jan. 1, 2014
- Lewis & Clark/Broadwater County Area—25 permits; and two youth permits
- Gallatin/Madison County Area—50 permits and 10 youth permits
- Upper Missouri Area—20 permits and two youth permits
- Park County—30 permits and two youth permits.
All turkey permit applicants must use an official FWP application form. Applicants must have a 2013 Conservation License and ALS number and they must pay $5 for the non-refundable drawing fee.
Prospective fall turkey hunters must apply online, by mail using an official application or at a regional office. Online applications are available at fwp.mt.gov under Online Services and must be completed by 11:30 p.m. on July 25.
Mail-in applications, which can be found on FWP's website, must be received by 5 p.m. on July 25. Mail-in applications must be sent to: Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks; License Section; Fall Turkey Drawing; P.O. Box 8009; Helena MT 59620-8009.
Successful applicants will be notified by mail and will be required to purchase a valid fall turkey license before hunting.