Friday, September 30, 2011
Before going afield to hunt, it is always wise to review the proper ways to handle and transport wild meat. Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks encourages hunters to use safe practices when handling wild meat in the field:
- do not harvest animals that appear ill or are acting abnormally.
- wear rubber gloves when field dressing game.
- minimize contact with animal fluids, brain and spinal tissues.
- wash hands and instruments thoroughly after field dressing or processing.
- cook all meat thoroughly before consuming.
For more on hunting in Montana, go to the FWP website at fwp.mt.gov on the Hunting page.