Fri Oct 31 00:00:00 MDT 2008
Before going afield to hunt, it is always wise to review the proper ways to handle and transport wild meat. Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks encourages hunters to use safe practices when handling wild meat in the field:
- do not harvest animals that appear ill or are acting abnormally.
- wear rubber (latex) gloves when field dressing game.
- minimize contact with animal fluids, brain and spinal tissues.
- wash hands and instruments thoroughly after field dressing or processing.
- cook all meat thoroughly before consuming.
Those who hunt in a state where chronic wasting disease is reported in wild deer and elk and who process their meat in that state, should request that their meat be processed individually, apart from other animals.For more on hunting in Montana, go to the FWP web site at fwp.mt.gov on the Hunting page.