You are here:   Home » News » News Releases » Headlines » New Commercial-Use Permits Required March 1

New Commercial-Use Permits Required March 1


Fri Feb 23 00:00:00 MST 2007

Permits for commercial activities on sites managed by Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks are now available. The new 2007 commercial-use permits are required for activities beginning March 1.

Examples of commercial uses include guided angling and whitewater rafting, guided walks and tours, guided trail rides and commercial filming. The new rules requiring permits for these and other commercial activities were recently approved by the FWP Commission to help manage commercial uses on FWP-managed lands.

Water-based outfitting and guiding at most FWP Fishing Access Sites require a $100 annual permit, which are available online at under Online Applications, and from most FWP offices. Applicants must provide an ALS number, which are available from any FWP office, and an outfitter or guide license number if they are certified by the Montana Board of Outfitters.

 A special restricted-use permit is also required for commercial use on the Beaverhead, Big Hole, Blackfoot, and Smith rivers, the Alberton Gorge of the Clark Fork River, and at Montana State Parks and Wildlife Management Areas. Contact the nearest FWP office for details on special restricted-use permits.

The new commercial use rules are the result of a lengthy public comment process that ended in November 2006. For more information, contact Charlie Sperry at: 406-444-3888, or by email: