Friday, February 17, 2006
Montana’s TIP-MONT "crimestopper" program is at work year round because wildlife crimes and vandalism occur year round. It is a good idea to keep the TIP-MONT number handy. It is 1-800-TIP-MONT, or 1-800-847-6668.
Anytime you have information about poaching, or other hunting and fishing violations, or vandalism in a Montana State Park or on U.S. Forest Service lands, you can act immediately to report the details of the crime by calling TIP-MONT.
The TIP-MONT program rewards callers who report natural resource crimes. The caller may be eligible for a cash reward of up to $1,000 if the information leads to an arrest. To help ensure the information you share with TIP-MONT makes a difference:
* note the details and write them down immediately;
* watch for identifying numbers such as those on a license plate, OHV, boat hull or plane tail;
* note exactly when and where the violation occurred;
* get physical descriptions of the people involved, including approximate weight, height, hair color and clothing;
* describe the location of physical evidence and do not move, collect or touch the evidence;
* write down the phone numbers and addresses of any additional witnesses.
The TIP-MONT hotline enables everyone to participate in preserving our state’s outdoor heritage. To report violations or suspected violations call: 1-800-TIP-MONT. For more information, visit FWP’s TIP-MONT web page .