You are here:   Home » News » News Releases » Headlines » State Lands Use Rules Apply To Angling

State Lands Use Rules Apply To Angling


Fri May 16 00:00:00 MDT 2003

Anglers preparing to head afield are reminded that they need to purchase a State Lands Recreational Use License if they plan to fish on State School Trust Lands. 

The rules that opened Montana‚Äôs State School Trust Lands contain provisions that, in most cases, prohibit or restrict certain activities.  Camping, for example, is permitted only within 200 feet of a normal access point or access route on the property.  The maximum length of stay in a particular spot is two consecutive days.

Anglers also need to be aware that motor vehicle use on state trust lands is restricted to federal, state and dedicated county roads or to other roads designated as open by the Department of Natural Resources and Conservation (DNRC). This restriction applies regardless of whether the road or the state land it crosses is posted.  Open fires are also prohibited.

Maps showing designated roads are posted at DNRC, Bureau of Land Management and U.S. Forest Service offices.  Informational brochures on state land use rules and restrictions are available from these offices and all FWP offices.  For further information about State School Trust Lands access, contact the nearest DNRC office or phone (406) 444-2074.