Friday, April 28, 2000In some hunting districts in the former "Southwestern-8" area special permits will be required to hunt antlered mule deer bucks. Applying for these permits may be a new process for some hunters. FWP recommends these steps:
- To see if the southwestern Montana hunting district you plan to hunt requires a special permit, check the new Deer and Elk Hunting Regulations which are now available. The regulations will explain which hunting districts have an unlimited number of permits available and which have a limited number of permits.
- If you plan to hunt in one of these permit-only hunting districts, get a copy of the special permit application from your regional FWP office, FWP license agent, or download it from the FWP web site at fwp.state.mt.us.
- Fill out the special permit application, indicating your first, second and third hunting- district choices. TIP: Make sure at least one of your choices is a hunting district with an unlimited number of permits available.
- It is not necessary to purchase a general Deer License before applying for these special permits, while it is necessary to purchase a general Elk License before applying for a special elk permit.
- Hunters will be notified of the results of the special permit drawing in late August.
If you have any questions, call your FWP regional office, consult the new Hunting Regulations or the FWP web site at fwp.state.mt.us.