You are here:   Home » News » News Releases » Headlines » Lands Use License Required Of Recreationists On State Lands

Lands Use License Required Of Recreationists On State Lands


Fri Mar 31 00:00:00 MST 2000

Recreationists heading afield this spring need to be aware that a State Lands Recreational Use License is required if, in the course of their activities, they will be on state land. Licenses are available from Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks license agents for $10 for adults ages 18 to 59 and $5 for youngsters age 17 and younger and for senior citizens 60 or older. A $20 family license for up to six immediate family members living in the same household is also available.

Fish, Wildlife & Parks game wardens enforce the laws and rules pertaining to recreational use of state lands for hunting and fishing.

State school trust lands, generally colored light blue on most ownership and access maps, are managed by the Department of Natural Resources and Conservation (DNRC) to generate revenue to help support Montana's public schools.

The general recreational uses covered by this license exclude trapping, cutting or gathering wood, collecting valuable rocks or minerals, panning for gold, mining or collecting or disturbing historical, archeological or paleontological sites or specimens. Separate licenses or authorizations are required by the DNRC for these activities. For more information on state lands contact the nearest DNRC office, or call (406) 444-2074.