You are here:   Home » News » News Releases » Headlines » State Lands Use Rules Apply To Hunting

State Lands Use Rules Apply To Hunting


Fri Oct 15 00:00:00 MDT 1999

Big game hunters headed afield for the opener on Sunday, Oct. 24 are reminded that they need to purchase a State Lands Recreational Use License if they plan to hunt on accessible State School Trust Lands this fall.

The rules that opened Montana's State School Trust Lands contain provisions that may, in some instances, prohibit or restrict some activities. Camping, for example, is permitted only within 200 feet of a normal access point or access route on the property. The maximum length of stay in a particular spot is two consecutive days.

Hunters also need to be aware that motor vehicle use on accessible lands is restricted to federal, state and dedicated county roads or to other roads designated as open by the Department of Natural Resources and Conservation. This restriction applies even if the road or the state land it crosses is not posted. Maps showing designated roads are posted at DNRC, Bureau of Land Management and U.S. Forest Service offices. Informational brochures on state land use rules and restrictions are available from these offices and all FWP offices. Those desiring further information about State School Trust Lands access should contact their nearest DNRC office or phone (406) 444-2074.