You are here:   Home » News » News Releases » Headlines » State Lands Use Licenses Required Of Recreationists

State Lands Use Licenses Required Of Recreationists


Fri Apr 24 00:00:00 MDT 1998

The Montana Department of Natural Resources and Conservation (DNRC) and Fish, Wildlife & Parks remind anglers and floaters of the license requirements for recreational use of state school trust lands.

For all persons 12 years of age and older who use these lands for access or for activities associated with fishing and floating (boat launching, camping, picnicking, etc.), a license is required if that use takes place above the high water mark. The license is available from all Fish, Wildlife & Parks license agents.

For 1998, the cost of the license is $10 for adults 18-59 years of age, $5 for youngsters 12-17 and senior citi-zens 60 or over. A $20 family license for up to six immediate family members living in the same household also is available.

A State Lands Recreational Use License is not required if activities are conducted within the confines of the high water mark, such as the surface, beds and banks of rivers and streams that are open to the general public for recreational purposes under the Stream Access Law. In addition, a license is not required on state lands owned or leased by FWP for public recreation, such as fishing access sites, state parks or wildlife management areas.

For further information, please contact your local DNRC office or phone (406)-444-2074.