You are here:   Home » News » News Releases » Fishing » State School Trust Lands And Fishing

State School Trust Lands And Fishing


Fri Apr 27 11:21:00 MDT 2012

Anglers must have a Montana conservation license to fish on State School Trust Lands. Other recreational activities such as hiking and bird watching require the $10 state lands recreational use permit.

Among the rules anglers should know:

  • There is a two-day camping limit on lands outside designated campgrounds.
  • Motorized travel is only allowed on public roads or on designated roads.
  • No open fires are allowed except in designated campground fire pits, but contained mechanical heat sources are allowed.

For more on the rules, regulations and restrictions on activities on State School Trust Lands, contact an FWP office, visit the FWP website at on the Recreation page, or contact the Montana Department of Natural Resources and Conservation at 406-444-2074.