Fishing - Region 5
Wed Aug 31 15:13:00 MDT 2011
BILLINGS — Fishermen will have an opportunity in September to get their questions answered and comment on Montana’s fishing regulations for the next four years.
Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks has scheduled an open house for 7-9 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 8 at its Region 5 headquarters, 2300 Lake Elmo Dr. in Billings Heights. During the open house, biologists will answer questions about proposed regulations and recommendations and provide information about making written comments for the commission to consider.
Every four years, FWP reconsiders all aspects of its fishing regulations and seasons. Department biologists have recommended a number of changes for the commission to consider. In south central Montana, the most significant recommendation is on a creel limit for trout in the upper Yellowstone River.
Currently, fishermen are allowed to keep four brown trout and/or rainbow trout per day, but three must be shorter than 18 inches and only one may be longer than 26 inches. All trout between 18 and 26 inches must be released. All cutthroat trout must be released.
Two alternatives are proposed to replace the limit. One would allow three rainbow trout and/or brown trout under 18 inches and one longer than 22 inches.
The second alternative would allow a fisherman to keep five rainbow trout and/or brown trout with only one longer than 18 inches. The regulation would be similar to one in place before 2007.
Full details on all of the changes being proposed across the state, as well as opportunities to file comments electronically, are available on the FWP website at fwp.mt.gov by clicking on the "Proposed Fishing Regulation Changes" section.
Any comments on the proposed regulation changes must be received by Sept. 19. Send comments by regular mail to: 2012-15 Fishing Regulations; FWP Fisheries Bureau, P.O. Box 200701; Helena, MT 59601.
The FWP Commission will take final action on the proposals on Oct. 13 in Helena.
Other scheduled meetings include:
· Glasgow—Sept. 7, 7-9 p.m.: Cottonwood Inn
· Hamilton—Sept. 7, 6-9 p.m.:USDA Forest Service Office, 1801 North 1st St.
· Havre—Sept. 8, 7-9 p.m.: Duck Inn
· Missoula—Sept. 8, 6-9 p.m.: FWP Region 2 Headquarters, 3201 Spurgin Rd.
· Helena—Sept. 12, 7-9 p.m.: Montana Wild Outdoor Learning Center, off Hwy12/Euclid at 2668 Broadwater Ave.
· Plentywood—Sept. 12, 7-9 p.m.: Sheridan County Library
· Darby—Sept. 14, 6-9 p.m.: Community Clubhouse, 106 N. Main St.
· Miles City—Sept. 14, 7-9 p.m.: Miles City Community College, Room 106
· Bozeman—Sept. 15, 7-9 p.m.: FWP Region 3 Headquarters, 1400 South 19th St.
· Great Falls—Sept 15, 7-9 p.m.: Region 4 Headquarters, 4600 Giant Springs Rd.