You are here:   Home » Hunting » Seasons » Hunt Roster FAQ

Hunt Roster FAQ

How do I register?

Between June 15 through July 15 you can go to the Hunt Roster page where you will find a link to sign up for:

  • Game Damage hunts for deer, elk and antelope
  • Management Season hunts for deer, elk and antelope
  • Elk Management Removals, and
  • General Season Antlerless Deer B Licenses that might be available in response to a need for deer population control during in specific areas.

The link is only available June 15—July 15.

When will the hunts take place and what licenses will I need?

Game Damage Hunts and Management Seasons could take place anytime from August 15 through February 15. You need to purchase a current year conservation license and your ALS number to register. However, to actually hunt, some game damage hunts or management seasons may require a valid, but unused, hunting license or permit, while others may allow prospective hunters to purchase a license or permit before the hunt. Elk management removals may take place throughout the winter and early spring and are applied only in those areas near Yellowstone National Park with brucellosis. General Season Antlerless Deer B Licenses allocated via the Hunt Roster may be used only during the general fall archery and firearm seasons.

When will I know what order I am on a roster?

FWP will conduct a computerized random drawing process that will award a placement of all prospective hunters on the roster in the order in which they are drawn. The final rosters will be posted here on August 1. There will be a separate drawing for any General Season Antlerless Deer B Licenses that may be made available.

How will I know when and where to hunt?

FWP will contact hunters on the Hunt Roster when the opportunities arise. Given the uncertainty of game damage, management seasons, elk management removals, and additional deer B licenses, participation in this process does not ensure any opportunity.

Why is FWP creating these rosters?

The effort to create hunter rosters is intended to generally streamline the process to identify hunters in rapid fashion.

What is game damage?

Game damage occurs when animals like elk, deer, and antelope concentrate on private farms and ranches and damage crops and property. FWP's game damage hunt rules explain how FWP will respond to the needs of landowners who provide public hunting during the general hunting season, yet who could nevertheless suffer losses due to wildlife damage.

What is a management season?

Special management seasons will be created when needed to attend to large concentrations of game animals due to seasonal migrations, extreme weather conditions, restrictive public hunting on adjacent or nearby properties, and other factors.

What is an elk management removal?

An elk management removal is a management response to the risk of brucellosis transmission between elk and livestock. These small scale removals reduce commingling events between elk and livestock using very limited hunters and harvest to adjust elk distribution in a localized area. These removals may take place throughout the winter and early spring and are applied only in those areas near Yellowstone National Park with brucellosis. Elk management removals are not used to control elk population size. Before the management removal option can be used, it needs to be adopted by the Fish & Wildlife Commission in a 2015 annual work plan.

What antlerless deer B licenses are allocated via the Hunt Roster?

FWP, with approval from the Regional Supervisor, FWP Director and Area Commissioner, may authorize additional B licenses valid for antlerless deer in specific hunting districts. These B license will be identified after July 15 and would be first allocated via the hunt roster. Any unsold licenses would be made available via surplus sale. No hunter may hold more than two of these antlerless mule deer B licenses in any one district. Unless otherwise acted upon, these B licenses would remain in effect for the 2014 and 2015 general hunting seasons.