You are here:   Home » Hunting » Licenses & Permits » Types of Licenses & Permits with Costs » Come Home to Hunt

Come Home to Hunt

This license law encourages nonresidents who once lived in Montana to "come home to hunt" with parents, siblings and other close family members.

Elk photo

The program is aimed at continuing Montana family traditions by making an effort to bring sons, daughters and family back home during hunting season at a substantially reduced price. The sponsoring adult family member must claim Montana as his or her legal residence and must have a valid Montana hunting license. The sponsor can be a parent, step-parent, grandparent, sibling, step-sibling, child, step-child, spouse, or in-law.

Qualifying nonresidents 18 years of age or older need to apply for either a $306 deer, $442 elk or $523 big game combination license by April 1, 2020. To actually hunt in Montana, the nonresident awarded a Come Home to Hunt license must hunt with a properly licensed adult family member. Proceeds from the sale of Come Home to Hunt licenses will be used by FWP to acquire public hunting access to inaccessible public land.

Learn more about the Nonresident Come Home To Hunt Combination License.