State of Montana Website Montana State Parks Website
Hunting and Trapping Licenses

Vehicle-Killed Wildlife Salvage Permit

The 2013 Legislature passed a bill that allows for the salvage of deer, elk, moose, and antelope killed as a result of a collision with a motor vehicle. The bill allows a permit to be issued for the salvage of ONLY deer, elk, moose and antelope. [Learn more]

Disabled Veterans Hunt License Donation

A new Montana law allows residents and nonresidents to donate their hunting license to a disabled military veteran or disabled active duty service member who is working with an organization that uses hunting as part of the rehabilitation process. [Learn more]

Fish & Wildlife Licensing and Funding Advisory Council

The Fish & Wildlife Licensing and Funding Advisory Council will evaluate Montana's system of funding fish and wildlife management through the sale of fishing and hunting licenses. [Learn more]

Application Deadlines

License and permit deadlines, costs, availability, and other details are available for each species and permit type:

Obtain a General License and Apply for Special Drawings

Hunters have four options to obtain a license or apply for special drawings:

License Example

Paper Applications

There are several places to find a paper (or printable) application which you may either mail in or take to a Regional Office to apply for your license or permit:

Permit and License Status

Use MyFWP to check on licensing questions such as: