You are here:   Home » Hunting » Hunter Access » Block Management » Region 1

Region 1 Block Management

Block Management Regions

FWP Regional Map Region 7 Region 6 Region 6 Region 4 Region 3 Region 2 Region 6

Select a Block Management Region

Block Management Contact:
  • Region 1 Block Management Program
  • 490 North Meridian Road
  • Kalispell, MT 59901
  • (406) 752-5501

Region 1 Hunting Access Guide

Order Guide

You can order the Hunter Access Guide between June 1 and December 31. Guides will be shipped beginning August 15th.

View Access Guide

The 2016 Hunting Access Guides and Regional Maps will be available for download (here) August 15, 2016.

2016 Statistics

11 landowners have enrolled approximately 764,000 acres to form 16 Block Management Areas.

Region 1 Block Management Program

For the 2016 fall hunting seasons, there are approximately 764,000 acres of private and isolated public lands enrolled in FWP's Region 1 Block Management program. The majority of these lands are owned by corporate timber companies: Weyerhaeuser Company, F.H. Stoltze Land & Lumber Company, and Stimson Lumber Company. However, traditional private land BMAs can also be found in Region 1. This region of Montana is primarily dense conifer forest habitat type, which offers opportunity to hunt elk, deer, moose, black bear, wolf, mountain grouse, turkey, and occasionally waterfowl. 

Region 1 Block Management Areas consist primarily of corporate timber lands through agreements with Weyerhaeuser Company (formerly Plum Creek Timber Company), Stimson Lumber and Stoltze Land & Lumber Co.  Weyerhaeuser lands make up nearly 98 percent of all our current Block Management lands and their open use policies make it easy for all sportsmen and women to use these lands. Weyerhaeuser also has special areas set aside for hunters with disabilities.

The best way to recognize Corporate Timber Lands is on the Flathead, Kootenai and Lolo National Forest Service maps. Weyerhaeuser Company lands are coded on these maps by orange and pink for easy identification. Weyerhaeuser Block Management lands are also posted at the main points of entry with signs identifying the area and explaining recreational use regulations. Adherence to these regulations is the best way to ensure that these lands remain open for generations to come. Maps and regulations for traditional BMAs, Weyerhaeuser, and Stoltze Land & Lumber are available at the Kalispell FWP office.

Like other regions, Region 1 has Type I and Type II BMAs. A Type I BMA allows hunters to administer their own permission to hunt, while a Type II BMA requires a hunter to obtain permission through other means. BMA hunting opportunities vary greatly with regard to methods of gaining access, opening and closing dates, vehicle travel, game retrieval, camping, presence of public lands, size, limits on hunter numbers, etc. It is very important to obtain the current year's BMA map and regulations for the BMA’s you intend to hunt.

The easiest way to receive free BMA maps is online. Please be aware that all BMA maps are in color. It is recommended you print your maps from a color printer to ensure color coded restrictions and landownership is clearly displayed. Maps may also be requested by calling our Region 1 FWP Office at (406) 752-5501. Region 1 Hunting Access maps and regulations will also be displayed at the Region 1 Headquarters, 490 North Meridian Road, Kalispell, Montana 59901. Most BMAs have maps available on site in hunter regis­tra­tion boxes or in map dispensers. Maps are usually posted at common BMA access points.

Remember, Block Management lands are private lands that are open for public use. They are available to us only as long as we treat these properties with respect and follow all rules and regulations.

Some of the regulations you will need to know before you go hunting are:

  • Motorized vehicles are permitted only on open, established roads.
  • Off-road vehicle use is prohibited.
  • A bermed road is a closed road.
  • There is a 16-day camping limit.
  • Permits are required for firewood cutting.

And as always, remember that a State Lands Recreational Use permit is required if you plan to utilize state lands for activities other than hunting, fishing or trapping.

For a copy of these regulations or directions to "disabled only" hunting areas, visit the Region 1 FWP Office.

  • FWP Region 1 Office
  • 490 North Meridian Road
  • Kalispell, Montana 59901
  • Phone: (406) 752-5501