You are here:   Home » Hunting » Hunter Access » Block Management » How to Gain Access

Block Management

How To Gain Access

Get a Guide

You can order the Hunter Access Guide between June 1 and December 31 each year. Guides will be shipped beginning August 14th.

Choose Your Area

Using the guide, determine which block management opportunities in the area you wish to hunt fit in best with your hunting methods and style. Then contact the appropriate regional office to obtain detailed maps and regulations for those block management areas (BMAs) that interest you.

Get Permission

In many instances, you will be required to contact a landowner, ranch worker, or FWP employee to obtain written permission. To do so, follow the directions outlined on the BMA maps provided by the region. You may be required to phone for reservations or pick up a permission slip at certain times. If times are not specified, use common sense and phone or stop by during reasonable hours. August 22 (each year) is the first date BMA reservations can be made for those BMA’s which require reservations. Some BMA’s do not start issuing reservations until later dates. See individual BMA rules for more details.

Some BMAs may be 'walk-in areas' or ranches that require you to sign-in at a self-administered roster before entry. Other BMAs may not require written permission, but require the hunter to possess a current BMA map depicting BMA rules.

Follow the Rules

Each BMA has its own rules agreed upon by the landowner(s) and FWP regional personnel. Be sure to read, understand and follow the rules for the BMA you plan to hunt. Ethical behavior afield, in following rules for such things as obtaining permission, vehicle restrictions, game retrieval, hunting area boundaries, camping, etc., will help assure future access to private lands.

Look for block management signs on site and abide by the instructions conveyed. Generally green signs mean hunting behind the sign is allowed with certain restrictions. These may include hunting by written permission only, signing a roster before entry, vehicles on established roads only, etc. Orange signs are used for areas closed to hunting or motorized travel, such as for safety zones (residence and livestock areas), no shooting zones, or road closures.