You are here:   Home » Fish & Wildlife » Licenses & Permits » Wildlife Possession » Possession of Captive-reared Game Birds for Noncommercial Purposes

Possession of Captive-reared Game Birds for Noncommercial Purposes

Photo of a Dusky Grouse.

Dusky Grouse

Possession of upland game birds for non-commercial purposes is unlawful unless the individual has authorization from the department. That authorization is obtained by applying for and acquiring a free permit issued through each of the FWP regional offices. The applicant must state the location (township, range, and section) where the birds will be held, the type of enclosure that they will be held in, and the species of birds that are to be possessed. This permit does not allow the sale of the birds or any parts of the birds and does not allow the release of any of the birds into the wild.

The application is reviewed by the regional office and a permit number affixed to the approved application. That permit number allows the holder of the permit to lawfully purchase upland game birds from a licensed game bird farm in Montana or to have upland game birds shipped to the permit holder from out of state. If birds are shipped into Montana from out of state, the shipper must obtain a health certificate and an import permit for the shipment of birds from the Montana Department of Livestock, (406) 444-2976. In addition, all birds shipped into Montana must be from National Poultry Improvement Program approved sources.

A permit to possess game birds expires on December 31 of the year obtained. Permits must be obtained annually if the applicant intends to keep birds past December 31.



There are no fees associated with this application.

Game Bird Possession Application


Application for Permit to Possess Captive-reared Upland Game Birds for Noncommercial purposes 31 KB 21 KB