You are here:   Home » Fish & Wildlife » Licenses & Permits » Commercial Fish & Wildlife » Roadside Menagerie

Roadside Menagerie

Mountain Lion

Mountain Lion

A roadside menagerie license is required for a facility where one or more wild animals are kept in captivity for the evident purpose of exhibition or attracting trade, on or off the facility premises. A person or organization cannot operate a roadside menagerie without first obtaining a permit from the department. In addition, a Class C Exibitors permit is required from the USDA.

An application for a roadside menagerie requires that an environmental evaluation be conducted by the department, with opportunity for public involvement. Completion of the environmental evaluation and inspection of the caging is required prior to authorization for operation as a roadside menagerie. The application fee and annual permit fee for a roadside menagerie is $10 for facilities with less than 5 animals, and $25 for facilities with more than 5 animals. Application also requires proof to the department that the proposed operation is covered by an insurance policy to cover personal injury or property damage to any member of the public while on the premises. Records must be kept of the history of each wild animal kept at the facility and an annual report of inventory, and any changes in that inventory must be submitted along with a renewal fee prior to expiration of the license on December 31. All wild animals must be confined at all times in cages of such strength and type of construction that it will be impossible for said animals to escape. Public contact with the wild animals is not allowed.



The application and annual renewal fee for a roadside menagerie with 5 or less animals is $10, and for a menagerie with 6 or more animals is $25.

Roadside Menagerie Application


Roadside Menagerie Permit Application 23 KB 18 KB