You are here:   Home » Enforcement » TIP-MONT » Poaching » TIP-MONT Poaching FAQ


What is TIP-MONT?

TIP-MONT is Montana's toll-free hotline to report poaching and other crimes. It stands for "Turn In Poachers Montana." Call 1-800-TIP-MONT (1-800-847-6668). Callers can remain anonymous and may be eligible for cash rewards.

Why does Montana need a poaching hotline like TIP-MONT?

In the entire state of Montana there are only 72 field wardens. Wildlife needs your eyes and ears to report these serious and costly crimes.

Is TIP-MONT effective?

Yes. Since 1985, TIP-MONT received more than 13,540 reports of poaching and other crimes, resulting in 1,521 convictions. These convictions netted $810,500 in fines, $337,000 in restitution. Also, nearly $155,000 in rewards were paid to citizens who reported suspected poachers and other crimes.

How do I report a suspected poaching crime?

Call the toll-free poaching hotline at 1-800-TIP-MONT (1-800-847-6668).

What happens to the information I provide?

The caller, who can remain anonymous, is assigned a code number. All information about the poaching incident is taken. FWP law enforcement personnel evaluate the information. Investigations are begun immediately and must follow the same rules and constitutional guidelines as any law enforcement investigation.

How are callers rewarded?

If a poacher is arrested or issued a citation on the basis of information provided by a caller, a reward is authorized. Rewards can be paid in cash and the pay-off is arranged to protect the anonymity of the caller. Many wildlife enthusiasts, however,  don't want a reward &emdash; they just want the criminals stopped.

Can one person really help stop poaching in Montana?

Absolutely! If you believe "enough is enough," you can help stop poaching. If you see a poaching incident, report it. Poaching is a crime against you, your neighbor, and everyone else in Montana. Call 1-800-TIP-MONT (1-800-847-6668).

What should I look for?

Some obvious signs of poaching include:

  • hunting out of season or at night using spotlights
  • taking more than one's legal limit
  • nonresidents who purchase resident licenses
  • professional and commercial poachers who illegally offer outfitter and guide services.

What type of information should I report?

Provide information as soon as you can, including:

  • date, time, location, and description of the violation
  • number of suspects
  • names or identifying features such as age, height, hair color, clothes
  • type of weapon used
  • number of shots heard
  • vehicle description including type, year, color and license number
  • how a suspected poached animal is being transported, or where it is being stored.

Can I contribute to TIP-MONT?

Yes. You can make tax-deductible contributions to the reward fund that makes the TIP-MONT program possible. Individuals and organizations may mail their contributions to: Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks Foundation, Attn: TIP-MONT,P.O. Box 200701, Helena, MT 59620-0701.