Hunting is a privilege and the Remedial Hunter Education Program is designed to help make that point. The program consists of a series of exercises that illuminate Montana's rich hunting legacy and how important legal and responsible behavior is to the future of hunting in Montana.
The Remedial Hunter Education Program looks at the history of hunting in Montana (Montana Hunting Story), explores a hunter's reasons and motivations for hunting (Why I Hunt), and tests an individual's values by presenting various dilemmas and asking the hunter what they would do (Choose a Path For Hunting). If you are taking this program optionally, disregard the instructions for defendants and skip ahead to begin the exercises.
If you are required to take this program because of a court order
Montana law requires an individual whose hunting privilege has been revoked to successfully complete the Remedial Hunter Education Program prior to purchasing a hunting license again. If a defendant does not successfully complete the Remedial Hunter Education Program by the date set by the Court or by the end of the suspension period, suspension of privileges will continue until the defendant successfully completes the course. Courts have the authority to sentence a defendant to complete the Remedial Hunter Education Program even if privileges are not suspended (MCA 87-6-915 ).
- Upon your request, FWP will send you instructions and an enrollment form. Return the form with the required fee.
- You can take the training online or request to take the course by mail.
- Completing all the exercises will take approximately 6-8 hours. However, you should allow at least 4 weeks for program completion if taking the course by mail. This will give you enough time to receive materials and mail in assignments. Mailing in all assignments at the same time will expedite the procedure.
- If taking the training online you must send FWP proof of completion: a copy of your Montana Hunting Story certificate, your Why I Hunt profile, and 4 completed Choose a Path for Hunting worksheets.
- The final assignment, Putting it All Together, will be mailed to you after you have sent FWP your enrollment form and fee; it is not available online.
- Upon submitting all assignments, FWP will notify you and the Court that you have successfully completed the Remedial Hunter Education Program.