You are here:   Home » Doing Business » Employment

FWP Employment

FWP employee. working with children

Children exploring Makoshika State Park with an FWP employee.

Wondering what the qualifications for a Fish, Wildlife & Parks Warden are? Interested in becoming a Fisheries Biologist? Hoping to volunteer as a campground host?

These pages will provide more information regarding basic job qualifications, current position openings, summer internship programs, and how to volunteer at a state park or fishing access site.

Application and Selection Process

The process used to evaluate an applicant's qualifications may include an evaluation of the State of Montana Employment Application and supplemental responses if required, a performance test or work sample, a structured interview, and reference or background checks. Applicants will be notified when screening has been completed.


State employees working at least half time are also provided paid health, dental, vision, and life insurance. Other benefits for eligible state employees include a credit union, a deferred compensation program, public employees' retirement program, 15 working days annual leave per year, 12 days sick leave per year, paid holidays, and up to 15 days military leave with full pay. Earned leave benefits may be used for maternity and parental (birth or adoption) leave and for immediate family illness care.

Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Plan

The department’s Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Plan reaffirms the department’s commitment to fair and equitable treatment of applicants and employees without regard to race, color, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, religion, creed, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or a medical condition related to pregnancy or childbirth, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, political beliefs, genetic information, military service or veteran's status, culture, social origin or condition, or ancestry unless based on a bona fide occupational qualification (BFOQ).

Reasonable Accommodation

Under state and federal law qualified applicants with disabilities are entitled to reasonable accommodations. Modifications or adjustments may be provided to assist applicants to compete in the recruitment and selection process, to perform the essential duties of the job or to enjoy equal benefits and privileges of employment available to other employees. An applicant must request an accommodation when needed. If you need any such accommodation, contact Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks using the information provided above. TTY users may call the TTY number if available or use the relay service by dialing 711. The State of Montana makes reasonable accommodation for any known disability that may interfere with an applicant's ability to compete in the recruitment and selection process or an employee's ability to perform the essential duties of the job. For the department to consider any such accommodation, the applicant must make known any needed accommodation

Employment Preference

The Veteran's Public Employment Preference Act and the Persons with Disabilities Public Employment Preference Act provide preference in public employment for certain military veterans and people with disabilities or their eligible relatives. An applicant claiming employment preference must complete an Employment Preference Form, PD-25A, available through your local Montana Job Service Workforce Center or see the State of Montana Employment Information website. You must also provide the appropriate documentation of eligibility with the application. The required documentation may include a DD-214; a document issued by the Office of the Adjutant General of the Montana National Guard certifying service; or a PHHS Certifications of Disability form. Contact your local Montana Vocational Rehabilitation Services Office, Department of Public Health and Human Services for details on obtaining persons with disabilities preference certification. For more information, contact your local Job Service Workforce Center.

Immigration Reform and Control Act

In accordance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act, the person selected must produce within three days of hire, documentation that he or she is authorized to work in the United States. Examples of such documentation include a birth certificate or social security card along with a driver's license or other picture I.D., a United States Passport, Certificate of Naturalization, a Permanent Resident Card, an Alien Registration Receipt Card (Green Card), or a Resident Alien Card.

Montana Compliance with Military Selective Service Act

In accordance with the Montana Compliance with Military Selective Service Act, men selected for state government employment must produce documentation showing compliance with the federal Military Selective Service Act. Examples of this documentation include a registration card issued by Selective Service, a letter from Selective Service showing a man was not required to register, or information showing by a preponderance of evidence that a man's failure to register with Selective Service was not done knowingly or willfully.